Almost everything has been erased from my game

@Ready
The project I was making was an assignment for my video game design class. I had been working on it for about an hour when everything but the main player character and the background disappeared. (Not hidden, but just gone) More accurately, I was creating the events for a powerup when this happened. I made a mistake so I clicked the back arrow to undo my mistake but it didn’t go back. I clicked it a few more times (I’m not sure if that caused the problem) but nothing happened. Upon exiting the events menu, everything is gone. The only things that are left are the player character and the background. Everything still shows up in the hierarchy but revealing it does nothing. All the objects are at (0, 0) and there’s nothing there for the textures. I try saving and exiting to see if that helps but when I go back in, it’s the exact same. Sorry for the long story. I just needed to make sure I described it accurately. Is there any way I can get an older version of my game back? I need it for my class assignment. Thanks.

4 Likes

I would tag @Ready in your post to draw their attention quicker and I am sure they will help you out with your inquiry asap. They are very helpful and active on this forum. Good luck with your assignment!

Cheers,

4 Likes

Thanks for letting me know!

4 Likes

Hello @Applebob8264 ! Welcome to the forum! :mechanical_arm: Unfortunately, in your case, after you clicked on the “Save” button, the project is no longer possible to return to its previous state. I have several ideas why this happened, one of them is that for some reason the connection to the server was interrupted. We always recommend that you perform the following steps when working with projects (These are standard steps when working with any editor):

• As often as possible save your project when you work on it and do not save anything when you have a failure. Just close the application and open it again (In this case, you can continue to work from the last save location.)

• When you return to your project it is best to start working with a backup (Run the project from the main menu, click on the “Remix” button and continue working with the copy from the previous save). This will save the preliminary workflow, and you can always delete unnecessary copies in the future.

• It is advisable, after working on one of the projects and moving on to the next, close the application and open it again, this will clear the unnecessary cache and stabilize the connection.

We are really sorry that you lost your project :slightly_frowning_face:, it happens sometimes, but not often, the above steps will help avoid this in the future. :video_game: :metal:

4 Likes

@Ready
Thank you for replying to my issue. I am writing this message now because it has happened again. I was trying to re-create my previous project when all of the sudden, everything disappears. This time, I wasn’t in the events menu but in the scene. The project is the exact same as the previous one now. Also, after the project changed, I exited the program instead of saving. When I got back to the project, everything was still gone. The project didn’t go back to its previous state even though I didn’t click save. Is there a reason this is happening? Is there a limit to the number of objects or events in a scene? Thanks for the help.

3 Likes

Hello @Applebob8264!

This is very odd to hear. If you don’t mind me asking- how many assets have you been placing, and how big is the project when it comes to events and the entire scene?

I’ve had experiences where large projects on Ready can mess up very very easily.

3 Likes

@Dravin
Now that you mention it, there is a lot of items in the scene (more than 30) due to a maze. If that’s the problem then that would solve all my questions. As for the project size, the objects extend far past the camera view. The list of events is pretty long too. If I had to, I could definitely make the game smaller. Thanks for letting me know about the size limitations.

3 Likes

No problem!

Ready Maker will not stop you from putting objects in the game, but as it is built off of another engine, it makes sense why these things happen.

Try to make backups for your games as much as possible. To do this in ready maker, all you have to do is remix the project and save it.

3 Likes

Hi @Applebob8264, welcome to the forum!

And welcome to the club of people who have lost their work in Ready. It’s almost a rite of passage :smile:

To add to the tips posted by others, whenever I’m working on a project of any importance, I make a habit of saving often, as in after every few edits (and wait for the audio-visual save feedback), and remixing after completing a new dev task. I rename the copies with version numbers and use the description field to record release notes. If I am extra worried about losing a project, I additionally remix it to a separate Ready account (grab the share link and open it on a mobile device where you’re logged in to the other Ready account).

3 Likes