How can saved game progress be reset?

Our students have been creating multi-level games using the technique from this thread:

https://forum.getready.io/t/building-multiple-levels-scenes/154

At the transition from one project to the next (aka one level to the next) it asks if you want to save your progress. When players choose next, then the game becomes stuck in the final state at the end of the “win” event (in the Maze Game from the tutorials). We’ve tried the “reload” control and restarting ReadyMaker, but the “win” state persists. How can our students reset their game?

2 Likes

Hello @auntiel! Unfortunately, saving the game results for a multi-level system has not been done yet. We are working on an update that will fix this and significantly improve the multi-tier system as a whole. The exact timeframe for the release of this update is i difficult to say.

1 Like

Thank you very much for that helpful clarification, @Ready, and I look forward to enhancements to the multi-level system.

Actually though, we have - sort of - the opposite issue: If a game includes a “Load my project” event to advance to the next “level”, when that event is fired a popup asks if you want to save or discard progress. One of our students chose “save” and now his game is stuck in that state. When I get a chance I’ll provide screenshots and more information.

2 Likes

Yes, Thank you! We were also grateful if you would share a link to this project, perhaps it will give us more information why it broke.

2 Likes

Thank you for following up and most happy to oblige. Here’s the share link:

https://ready.app.link/mqaPFGq2eO

The same thing happened today to several of our other students, in other words the problem is reproducible. And I apologize but I need to update my description of the issue. It happens when you play the game from the ReadyMaker editor and it prompts you to save your project, not to save your play progress. Our students save their projects before testing, but if they click ‘save’ when the prompt pops up at the ‘load my project’ action of their ‘next level’ event, then the game breaks as described. Here’s a screenshot of the popup prompt:

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help troubleshoot this issue.

2 Likes

@auntiel - Many thanks!:+1: We will certainly study and correct this problem in the near future.

2 Likes

Thank you! Any suggestions for our current students? Will they have to do their projects over again from scratch?

2 Likes

Unfortunately yes. These projects are not preserved and they can not be restored. At the forum and Youtube we have a lot of different lessons to create a different logic. Perhaps your students will be interested in working on creating different tasks. For example, several ways to create an artificial intelligence or various options for implementing the logic of shooting, cloning objects, working with classes.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification and suggestions. I had in fact intended to move them along to different projects, and we’ll turn this into a learning experience of the importance of keeping backup copies of everything, and the kinds of unexpected pitfalls that real-life software developers encounter and have to find ways to cope with.

2 Likes

Yes, great idea!:+1:

2 Likes

Hello @Ready, I have an update on this topic. When I finally had a chance to have a closer look, I noticed that all that’s really necessary to restore a game to its initial state is to manually reverse the game-play actions that got it to the inadvertently saved “win” state. In the case of our students’ maze games, this simply meant 1) move the prize back to its starting position; 2) set the timer label back to “active”; 3) set the “next level button” back to “hidden”; and 4) remove the background colour. Once I figured this out, our students were able to repair their games without having to rebuild them if they forgot to choose “discard changes” when testing their games inside the editor.

Thanks again for your support and I hope this update is helpful.

2 Likes

Glad this got resolved.

3 Likes

Hello @auntiel ! Many thanks! These steps can be really useful for us when we fix this problem.

2 Likes

It also happened to me before

2 Likes