HyperS- fly through space at hyper speed for lightyears!

Fly through space at hyper speed avoiding asteroids. See if you can travel 50 lightyears to a new planet!

https://ready.app.link/hajfLNdOg0

7 Likes

Hi @kenobi! Welcome to our community! :slightly_smiling_face: This really awesome game :clap::clap::clap:

4 Likes

Great game! I like how you made the effects really smooth in the game. Great animation :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you! It’s my first of hopefully many to come.

4 Likes

Thanks for having me and thank you!

4 Likes

That’s a fun game to play.
Can you make an update with a leaderboard to show the scores of the best players?

4 Likes

Thank you, I will attempt that next!

3 Likes

Updated with leaderboard.

4 Likes

The remix. Now with a power up to help get through those pesky asteroids.
https://ready.app.link/UymbJJSJq0

Going to work on an 8 bit beginning cutscene to add a storyline of sorts before gameplay.

3 Likes

Great idea! The game is getting better and better!:+1:

3 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words.

3 Likes

I love your game, @kenobi!

I was going to ask you if you’d mind if I use it with my (elementary) students, until I saw how elaborate the events are. I’m afraid my youngsters would be overwhelmed. Do you have a trick for entering a large number of events and keeping them organized? Whenever I attempt large event sets like that, I always make a mistake somewhere and become frustrated that we can’t reorder events, and I usually run out of time and give up.

4 Likes

I will attempt to condense the game using classes either tonight or in the morning. That should eliminate quite a few lines. Also thank you for the kind words!

5 Likes

oh wow! It would be fantastic to have a version of your game with fewer events that my students could build themselves. I’ll admit I didn’t look very closely at your events and assumed there was a specific reason you needed to address each item individually. I believe the features wish list includes support for reference by index and iterating an object list.

5 Likes

I managed to get the code down to 12 lines instead of 34 with a single object spawning all the asteroids and the power up. Thanks for the challenge and I hope your students enjoy putting this together as much as I have!

https://ready.app.link/g1wqY6p3t0

5 Likes

Great progress!:clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Thanks for the updated version, @kenobi! I really like your game a lot and I like your neat and tidy events. It seems like the asteroids fall much faster now; was this intentional?

Also, let me see if I correctly understand how the powerups work. I think the idea is that the spaceship (player) collides with the orb, then the orb shoots bullets that destroy the asteroids so there’s less for the player to avoid. Did I get it right? But I’m not seeing the orb. When does it appear?

My students are going to love this. I’m looking forward to working on the lesson plan :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just played some more. I really enjoy this game. Less code = better performance in some cases. This game does really when on my device for that.

Do you think you’d ever be able to send this off to the google play store? This would make a great downloadable game!

I also had the idea of galaxies being somehow implemented into the game. Since the game is converted into light years for score, it would be really cool if you could travel to other parts of space and each part is harder. For example- planets, stars, galaxies, etc.

I’m a huge space freak so I’m freaking loving this

4 Likes

The asteroids are no faster than before just less of a pattern. The power up orb falls every 17 seconds and lasts for 5 seconds. Yes the orb gives you rockets which fire automatically!

4 Likes

I did plan on implementing galactic space travel! I was a fan of no man’s sky and now I play Kerbal so I’m a space junkie. I’ve already been playing with ideas of landing on planets, collecting fuel resources and launching back into orbit where you must re-dock before traveling again. As far as Google play store, realistically I want to develope this more and polish it over a few times before I even consider that; But I’m definitely thinking about it.

5 Likes