Some newbie questions

Hi! I am new to Ready and was wondering if it is possible to have a hidden controlpad so you can click anywhere to stear the player?

Also, can gravity direction be controlled? Like negative direction for example.

1 Like

In the control pad behavior is a setting to show or hide the controller. And if you hide it you can still steer by letting “touch anywhere” be active.

There is no negative gravity. But if you add an object off screen on the top and then give the player a “move towards “ behavior you can instruct it to move towards that object and override the gravity setting.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I’ve tried setting the control pad to hidden but it still shows when testing the game. Any ideas what it can be?

2 Likes

Hi, You can turn off the visibility of the joystick only if you make it inactive. (Joystick Active/off). But then in this case you will not be able to use it on mobile devices. But you can also create a player control with the buttons (you can add another objects from your library and adjust them in the Event Manager). Also, if you use the “Set Hidden” parameter, you must remember that when it’s “Yes”, your object becomes completely inactive on the scene. If you want to make it invisible, use the “Opacity” parameter.

How use the buttons in your project, example:

1 Like

Opacity isn’t available for the control pad.
Only for the player or am I missing something?

1 Like

There’s no way to directly control opacity on the control pad. You can potentially use the “tint” color wheel to make it blend with the background. You can also toggle “Always Visible” to hide it while keeping it active.

1 Like

I’ve tried setting always visible to off but it’s still visible.
Is there a way of putting it offscreen?

1 Like

As I wrote above, you can not completely hide the joystick and still leave it active. For your task, you can use large shapes for example.

1. Add two rectangles from your library (Tab “+”/ “Basic Shapes”)
  2. The Solid - turn off
  3. Add them to the “User Interface” layer (in the “Appearance” tab)
  4. Adjust their size and position them on the stage, so that one of them occupies the left side of the screen, and the second right:

1. Go to the Event Manager and create the following events:

Event # 1:

Event # 2:

Event # 3:

2 Likes