ReadyMaker for the browser?

Hello @Ready and Ready team!

Is there by any chance a way to use ReadyMaker in situations where installing an executable is not possible? We hope to use ReadyMaker with a group of students, but their computer lab has Chromebook only. I noticed in item 11. of your educators FAQ a mention of an online version of ReadyMaker, but when I clicked the link, it only showed an empty WebGl page.

https://www.getready.io/edufaq

Have you any advice for me? Thank you as always,

auntiel

4 Likes

If you’re running on chrome books, the Ready Maker app from Goolge Play (Android) will run. That would be the easiest solution for a Chromebook.

We experimented with running the editor in WebGL and the performance was unacceptable. So we killed it, which is why you can’t find it.

6 Likes

Thank you @davidsol! Time for me to reveal my ignorance and admit that I had no idea that Android apps can be used on Chromebook. Thank you for the tip and we’ll try it!

4 Likes

It’s pretty impressive performance-wise. I think you’ll be very happy with it. Let us know how it goes.

5 Likes

@davidsol can you help me out with installing and/or accessing the Ready Maker app on my chromebook? I’m feeling really stupid, but I can’t figure it out. I did find Ready Maker in the google play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.getready.ready

It shows it as already installed, but my chromebook’s app launcher doesn’t find it and just sends me back to the google play store. I tried clicking the “installed” button anyway, and oddly it said “the app will be installed shortly”, but I can’t find it. Any tips you can offer are most welcome! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hmmm. I am not an expert on how Chromebooks manage these things. There should be a task bar on the bottom of the screen and from there a method to view all the apps on the device. From there you can open Ready Maker if it’s installed… BUT it’s weird that it won’t open it from the Play Store listing if it shows as “installed” in the chromebook. It’s possible there could be some security settings if it’s a school device, where it won’t let kids install unauthorized apps- and Ready Maker could fall in that category. Try installing when you’re logged into a personal gmail account to test if that’s the issue.

4 Likes

Thanks @davidsol! Meanwhile I’ve been googling and I think I found my answer. I’m using my own personal Chromebook which is an old model, and apparently I need to do a “file system migration” to get Android apps to work. I imagine that the conflicting messaging from the Play store arises from the “in between” state of my chromebook. I’ll see how far I get with the migration and get back to you. (Our students’ have much newer Chromebooks (Chromeboxes actually) that hopefully won’t have this issue.)

3 Likes

That makes sense- I believe any Chromebook shipped in late 2017 and beyond has Android app support “out of the box”. They should appear in something called the “apps tray” on your device, according to this little helper:

5 Likes

So after many false starts, I finally learned concretely that my old chromebook is not capable of supporting Android apps, so unfortunately I can’t yet tell you about my experience with the Ready Maker app on Chromebook. Thanks again, though, for the helpful information!

4 Likes

When you try it on an Android-compatible Chromebook, let us know about the experience.

4 Likes

Hello @davidsol,

I promised to share with you our experience using the Android app edition of ReadyMaker on Chromebook. We’ve been using it for the past week with a group of students and so far it’s been going rather well. We noticed just a few quirks. For example, using text boxes is tricky (for example, for renaming a project or game object). Sometimes the text box doesn’t want to select, or you can’t tell that it’s selected. In another example, a student’s game was showing two overlapping timers, one running, one not. However, when we opened and ran his project in ReadyMaker for Mac, the second timer was gone.

Overall, though, it’s working out well. Thanks again for letting me know about it!

2 Likes

Glad to hear this! How old are the students building projects?

2 Likes

They range from 3rd grade through 8th grade (8-14 years old).

3 Likes

Do you feel there is a particular age in that range that is best suited to using Ready? Or does it work for all of them?

2 Likes

I find that all I have to do is tailor the lesson plan for different age groups, similarly as I’d do were I teaching engineering using Lego or Meccano. As a matter of fact, I think it could work for an even wider age range.

2 Likes

Bom gostei de mais muito bacana mesmo

3 Likes

I am unable to get the Google Play link to work to download ready.io to a chromebook. When I use the given link, I get a “We’re sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server” message. Is there another link to download ready for chromebooks? Or can the version that works in the web browser be re-enabled? I have students working on projects from home via chromebooks. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @maiello, welcome to the forum!

You can use the download page here:

https://www.getready.io/download

and choose the option for Android, or you can go directly to the Google Play store on Chromebook.

Hope this helps!

auntiel

4 Likes

Thank you @auntiel – the link does not work – I get an error saying the requested URL is not found on the server. I’ve also tried searching the google play store & cannot find anything for Ready.

3 Likes

Hi @maiello, this link working well for me! :shushing_face:

2 Likes