Membership in multiple classes

Classes in Ready are really just lists (as opposed to classes in object oriented programming). I’d love to have the ability to add an object to more than one class, which would give us a more practical way to manage subsets or overlapping sets of objects.

3 Likes

It looks a little complicated! First of all, due to the fact that we have a block structure of event construction, which consists of 4 blocks for each row. First of all, problems are likely to arise for “Affected” and “Select Instance”.

3 Likes

Thanks @Ready. I guess classes in Ready will remain weird and mysterious, but in this case would you be able to introduce the concept of simple lists that do nothing more than group a set of game objects together?

This would be helpful because, for example, there are many use cases where it is necessary to create multiple near-identical events to mange objects one-by-one because some of them already belong to a class.

3 Likes

Hi @auntiel! :slightly_smiling_face: An interesting proposal :+1:, at the moment you can actually add a rather long list of conditions to one event, but I wrote down your idea and we will discuss it in the future.

About the classes. We always experience a lot of problems when we add something to classes, this is a rather complicated code structure and it is difficult to make it completely flexible and make it work without errors. In my projects, I always try to put many conditions in one event and this usually works well for me, for example:

All Objects In Class "Left"/Position/Left Of Coordinates/2

Or

All Objects In Class "Right"/Position/Right Of Coordinates/-2

Or

All Objects In Class "Up"/Position/Down Of Coordinates/3.5

Or

All Objects In Class "Down"/Position/Up Of Coordinates/-3.5

Affected Objects In Class "Left"/Position/Move Right In Over Time/3
Affected Objects In Class "Right"/Position/Move Left In Over Time/3
Affected Objects In Class "Up"/Position/Move Down In Over Time/3
Affected Objects In Class "Down"/Position/Move Up In Over Time/3
2 Likes

I hear you, @Ready, and thanks for considering my suggestion and for taking the time to create an extensive example :+1:

3 Likes