Dravin’s Unity Projects

New update!

• Main Menu! It’s not fully complete, and I’ll make more additions in the future, but it really bothered me how I would open the game and the intro scene would just play and it’s straight to the point. I wanted to make a main menu to get that feeling out of the way :joy: it’s even got some neat camera animations!
  • Quality Settings, not much to say here
  • Time and date is at the top right of the screen when the game starts after going through the main menu. Every minute is 1 hour.
  • New challenge: you have until 4am to steal what you need to save your brother. If it’s 4am- The skeleton will immediately know where you are and his speed will increase tremendously to where the player cannot outrun him whatsoever, absolutely impossible. He will then jumpscare you. I plan on adding a heartbeat sound effect when the clock reaches 4am!
  • If you are in the locker before 4am and it becomes 4am, you are able to stay in the locker but when you get out, you will no longer be able to go back in. If you’re not in the locker before 4am, and it turns 4am, you will not be able to access it to hide.
  • Fixed a glitch that allowed you to see the “enter locker” message at the bottom of the screen even though the trigger to get in was gone
  • Fixed a glitch where the skeletons feet would go into the ground when walking
  • Fixed a lighting issue
  • Performance improvements

Main menu animations: (it’s MUCH smoother and better in person, I promise! I had to compress this gif to fit the forum! :joy:)

The main menu is inspired by Granny - The PC version main menu

3 Likes

Wow! It looks very good :+1::clap:

3 Likes

Thank you @Ready!!

All these kinds messages really help me strive to do better! I really appreciate the kind words always! :blush:

3 Likes

Dravins future Video Game Studio Founder :sunglasses:

3 Likes

So I’m taking a break this week as I’ll be on vacation but I’ll mention this -

This game has startled me so much I’ve lost count. I think that’s a very good sign for the game :flushed:

(Kinda funny in my opinion as there’s no sounds yet and it still freaks me out when I get jumpscared :joy:)

2 Likes

New Update!

There were many things I was unhappy with, so I made this update to fix those things!

• New Intro cutscene! I completely removed the previous one and made a new intro cutscene!
  • Intro cutscene now has dialogue
  • Skeleton is in the intro cutscene, but the player does not notice it (check one of the images below!)
  • Brother is mentioned in the intro
  • The players and brothers names are revealed in the intro
  • Intro shows more of the story
  • The car no longer belongs to the player. Will have a new mechanic for this car.
  • New flashlight mechanic has begun production but is not completed yet.
  • New flashlight design
  • The main flashlight is now orange, no longer a white light. This has been featured in the icon! :wink:
  • Sky is now pitch black. The sky previously did not fit the game and did not make the game that scary.
  • Grass now has much better graphics
  • Main Menu now has a clean light
  • When you’re close to an item the screen will display what the item is.
  • Adjusted the positions of certain text
  • Fixed an issue with the shadows
  • The Time is a bit longer now. It now takes 85 seconds to reach the next hour, not 60.
  • Other minor bug fixes

What do you think? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The orange light looks great. The orange color looks like the light from a candle.
Are you able to make a moon and have it’s white light cast shadows?
That effect might look cool.

4 Likes

I really like that candle idea @Suzzy-Grey! I’m going to think about adding that for the intro cutscene- and maybe cause wind to blow out the candle maybe? :slight_smile: we will see!

There’s also a new update!

Remember that new mechanic that was being worked on for the flashlight? Well, I believe I’ve done enough to share it out!

• New item: Battery!
  • After about 2 minutes after collecting the flashlight, the flashlight is almost dead. The flashlight will go out and dialogue will appear from Jacob, the players name, and you’ll have to be in the dark trying to find the battery needed! Don’t worry- the dialogue hints where Jacob believes it is! :wink:
  • If you find the battery before the flashlight goes out- Jacob will not take the battery.
  • The light in the locker will also go out if the flashlight is out.

Other things added/fixed:

• The player now bobs their head. This makes the game much more realistic to play
  • The bushes around the map have been replaced with the wooden fences at the front of the house. The fences now wrap all around the area where you play the game.
  • Map is slightly bigger
  • Adjusted And Fixed the Quality Settings
  • Adjusted the angle of the jumpscare
  • Other bug fixes

3 Likes

Really impressive dude keep it up :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Looks pretty cool to me.

4 Likes

New Update!

• The skeleton now has a new pet! It is a spider- but it may change in the future.
  • New item: Potion!
  • The player will now know when they have collected all of the keys
  • The player cannot pick up the potion until they have found all the keys first
  • The spider guards the potion
  • The spider can bite the player and the camera will shake and will make the player fall
  • Fixed a grammatical error in one of the dialogues
  • Increased the time it will take for the flashlight to go out
  • Added more tips on the main menu
  • You can no longer toggle the flashlight on/off as this had no use
  • Other bug fixes

(Cool fact: this is the spider that was going to come in Ball World 3D, but was soon changed!)

3 Likes

New Update!

Remember that car from the previous updates from a while ago? Well- it’s gone.

Just kidding! It’s only removed from the front of the yard of the gameplay scene.

I always promised I would put it to use, so here it is! (I changed my mind about the player not owning the car. You will see what it does down below):

• 2 NEW scenes! The players bedroom and a driving scene! Once you begin the game, the player will awaken in their room and get out of bed (there’s a pretty neat animation for this). You must leave the bedroom of course but if you try to leave without the flashlight, Jacob will mention it out saying he needs it. Once you leave the bedroom, you will move the driving scene.
  • In the driving scene you will pull over at the end of the animation and a loading screen will appear with a tip.
  • With that, there is now 2 new loading screens! Pretty simple screens.
  • You have the ability to look around the car when you’re driving. This gives a more realistic feel to the game and is a pretty need addition I wanted to make :slight_smile: (be safe while driving and watch the road in real life of course!)
  • 2 new keys are now in the map, maxing the keys out to 7. There will not be anymore keys than this.
  • Minor additions and changes to the main menu screen.
  • The well in the gameplay screen is smaller
  • Other bug fixes

To view the photos of the driving scene, I’d recommend turning your brightness up if you’re using a mobile device!

In the new images, notice how the time adds up to an hour. Jacob lives 2 hours away from the skeleton :wink:

Also- I added these two scenes to make the game feel a lot more smooth. I didn’t want this game to be straight to the point and you figure everything out yourself, so I hope this helps and leads into the game much better. And yes- after the driving scene, the intro scene will then start!

Let me know what you think if you wish to! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The key in the bucket looks like it’s floating on invisible collision even tho it’s clearly not it just tricked my eye at first when starring at it for a bit lol.

I love the loading… screen.

I like the door options always keep that in your first person games as it will always add that extra design detail.

The Lighting is great.

3 Likes

Thank you @James!

I agree about that key. It’s definitely a lighting issue with the key. I’ll fix it in the next update! :wink:

3 Likes

Is the key floating tho? or am I just really tired lol

Also the clock on the top right is great will it go up every hour or min kinda like GTA games?

2 Likes

I made sure- the key is definitely not floating but it kinda looks like it with the lighting issue :joy:

The clock goes up by each hour :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome next question as I may have a suggestion or two.

Is the game only at night time?

2 Likes

So far, yes. I have many ideas for the end cutscenes of the game but they’re the very last thing I will work on.

There will be 3.

The end cutscene if you win the game will have something special after it :slight_smile:

But for now, I’m still planning on those cutscenes. They will tie into the storyline and will have dialogue. They will also be intense.

2 Likes

What about adding decisions that lead you to a certain end cutscene.

You can check out the game “Heavy Rain” as a reference as I think it may add to what you currently building.

Taking something that is already awesome to the next level :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Why thank you for that! :slight_smile: I’m glad you’re liking the game so far! Really appreciate it.

I kinda have something that ties into the decision making, but it’s still a work in progress with the idea.

One of the cutscenes may be where you retrieve the wrong potion, ending up poisoning your brother. But I’m still thinking about it and what will happen after.

2 Likes